In the previous post we created a new Records Centre site. What we need to do now is to enable usersto send documents to it from other sites and other site collections. To do this we need to set up this new site as an option on the ‘Send To’ menu. This is done through Central Administration. Note that you apply this to the Web Application and all site collections under this Web App will inherit this Send To option.
First of all we need to look at the URL for the Records Centre site and copy it to the clipboard [exclude the page – just copy up to and including the name of the site e.g. “http://intranet/demorm“]
- Run Central Administration
- Under General Application Settings click Configure Send To Connections
- Click on the Web Application – a screen appears allowing you to change it
- Select the name of the web app that you want to apply this to e.g. “Intranet“
- In the list, highlight the name of the Records Center that you created in the previous post
- Type in a Display Name for the Send To connection e.g. RM Demo
- For the URL paste what is in your clipboard e.g. http://intranet/demorm
- Append the following to the end of the URL /_vti_bin/official file.asmx
- e.g. http://intranet/demorm/_vti_bin/official file.asmx
- Tick Allow manual submission from Send To Menu
- Select a Send To Action e.g. Move & Leave a Link
- This moves the document to the Records Center but leaves a link to it in the current Document Library. Alternatively you can move it completely or copy it.
- Enter an explanation e.g. ”Document manually archived to demo RM site”
- Click Add Connection
- Click OK
We have now configured a new Send To destination so that we can send document to our new Records Centre. The scope of the Records Centre is to the Web Application that we selected above. We will now see how this appears to the user.
- Return to a site in your site collection where you have a document library
- Locate a document and click on it’s title drop down to access the context menu
- FFom the dropdown menu select our new Send To – Demo RM
- Are you sure? Message appears – Click OK
- A confirmation message appears – Click OK
You can now see that the document icon has changed to include a small arrow, this denotes that this is a link. This assumes that you selected the Move & Leave a Link option.
- Click on the document title
By clicking on the title we are presented with an information page that shows that the document has been moved to a new location. We will now return to the Records Centre.
- Go back to the new Records Centre
- On the left click on Drop Off Library
You should see your document in the Records Center. In a future post we will look at how we can use the Content Organizer to move documents from the Drop Off Library to other libraries in the Records Center.