This post will look at how to use a configured Managed Metadata Service Application for tagging a document in a SharePoint 2010 library. My previous post showed how to create a new instance of the service and enter values for the Term Store.
- Launch your SharePoint site e.g. http://intranet.contoso.com
- On the Site Actions menu select View all site content
- Click on a relevant Document Library in the Document Libraries section
- On the Ribbon, click on the Library tab in order to see library level settings
- Click on the Create Column button and a Create Column form will appear:
Column Name: Enter a name e.g. “Parties”
Type: Managed Metadata
Scroll down the page and select Use a managed term set:
Expand the ‘Parties Term Store’ tree and select one of the Term Sets that we created in the previous post for example “Internal”
Scroll down and click OK
- In the Ribbon click the Documents tab.
- Click on Upload Document.
- Click Browse and locate a document to upload then click OK.
- On the Document metadata form there will be a new Internal field for applying metadata Terms. Click on the small tag icon to the right of the field.
- This launches a form to navigate the Term Set and select a value. Select a Term such as “HR” and click on OK.
- Click Save and the document will be saved to the document library.