I have been messing around with a demo build of SharePoint 2010 and K2 but the trial license expired and it asked me to reactivate Windows. After a bit of searching and cursing I found out that you can actually extend the trial period by ‘rearming’ the license. You can do this up to 3 times which should be long enough to carry out an evaluation. To do this:
- Run Regedit (Click on Start, type in REGEDIT and press Enter)
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform
- In the right hand pane look at the SkipRearm item and check the value, if it is not zero then right click on the item, select Modify and enter 0 (zero) as the value.
- Click on the Start Menu and run the Command Prompt item, this will launch the white on black command prompt window.
- Type slmgr -rearm and press Enter
- You can then click on OK and restart the computer for the change to take effect
By the way this is totally legal.